Water is essential for all living creatures, but it can also be destructive and dangerous. Flooding can occur very suddenly and with little to no warning, potentially causing extensive damage to property and the environment, and possibly leading to severe injury or even death. As a family caregiver it is important if your parent is in a location that is at risk of flooding that you include this potential disaster in your emergency preparedness plans so that if it does occur you will both know how to handle it in the best way possible.
Use these tips to prepare your elderly loved one for the possibility of a flood:
• Make sure that your senior has an emergency preparedness kit that is easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
• Look into protecting your parent’s home with flood insurance if they are in an at-risk area.
• Talk to professionals about protecting vulnerable elements of your parent’s home, such as their furnace or heating system, water heater, and electric floor panels
• Look into the regulations of the area and construct flood walls or barriers that will help to divert floodwaters and protect your parent’s home.
• Make sure that your parent’s basement, foundation, and walls are properly sealed and do not have cracks or other problems that could make them more vulnerable to flooding.
• If your parent has companion animals or a service animal, make sure that they are included in all of their emergency preparedness plans.
• Find out where to access accurate information about impending floods, including how to prepare and place sandbags if necessary.
If you have found that your elderly parent’s needs are beyond what you feel that you can handle successfully and effectively, or you simply think that they would benefit from diversification of their care and support, starting elderly care for them may be the ideal choice. An elderly home care services provider can create a highly customized approach to their care, support, assistance, and companionship to ensure that they get everything that they need to manage their individual needs while also pursuing a quality of life that is active, engaged, independent, and fulfilling as they age in place.
This type of care is not just beneficial for those elderly adults who are struggling with extensive challenges, limitations, and health needs. Rather, the personalized services of an elderly care provider can help even those seniors who are still healthy and active manage more of their care needs more effectively so that they are able to invest more time, energy, and effort into the things that they want to do.
When it comes to helping your parent manage a severe weather situation, an elderly care provider can help your senior develop an emergency response plan, go over the plan that you have made with them, review and practice elements of these plans, and be there for your parent to help them get through the situation in the way that is best for them, including providing emotional support and care afterwards to get them back to their normal life as soon as possible.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elderly Care Services in Kirkland WA, contact the caring staff at Hospitality Home Care today. Call us at (206) 966-6552.