May is National Osteoporosis Prevention Month. According to the International Osteoporosis Foundation, approximately 44 million U.S. residents have low bone mass or osteoporosis. It’s expected that by 2020, that number will climb to 61 million.
Has your mom had her bone density checked? If she hasn’t, it’s a good test to ask her doctor about. If she has and her bone density was a concern or she has osteoporosis, her doctor will discuss a treatment plan. Meanwhile, there are five foods you can urge your mom to eat that will help increase calcium intake.
1. Dairy – Raw milk contains high levels of calcium. You can also offer cheese or yogurt to help boost your mom’s calcium intake.
2. Dark Green Vegetables – Serve more dark green vegetables at meal times. Options include bok choy, broccoli, chard, kale, spinach, and watercress. If your mom is a finicky eater, make fruit smoothies and add kale or spinach to berries to mask the taste. You may find it easy to slip peppery watercress into a tuna or chicken salad sandwich.
3. Fish – Sardines are almost as rich in calcium as a cup of milk. Sardines spread on a piece of toast is one way to get her to eat it. Make sure the sardines do have the bones though, as it’s the bones that deliver the high levels of calcium. In the case of sardines, the bones are very soft and perfectly edible.
4. Fruit and Nuts – Surprisingly, figs are one fruit that is rich in calcium. Oranges or orange juice are other calcium-rich choices. Almonds are especially high in calcium. Raw almonds are a quick and easy snack. If your mom doesn’t like to eat nuts, you can always serve her shakes made with almond milk.
5. Soy and Tofu – If your mom likes edamame, you’ve got an easy way to slip more calcium into her diet. Another option is tofu. You can add tofu to smoothies or marinate it and use it in place of meat in her favorite stir fry.
To make sure your mom is eating foods rich in calcium, hire a homecare professional to help with meal planning and preparation. Homecare services can assist with many of your mom’s more difficult tasks, including housework, walking the dogs, and grocery shopping. Call a homecare service today to learn more.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Homecare Services in Kirkland WA, contact the caring staff at Hospitality Home Care today. Call us at (206) 966-6552.